Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Greta's Writing Soudtrack

Writing Prompt from 1/16/2007:

If a record company put together the soundtrack of your writing life, what songs would it include? List 10 songs that inspire, excite or compel you to put the pen to the paper. Start it off with "(fill in your name)'s Writing Soundtrack." (500 words or fewer)

Yay! Music inspires the crap out of me.

Greta’s Writing Soundtrack

1. Lost in Time – Stellastarr
Seriously. This one I must have played forty times in a row when I was writing a story about a nursing home and the storm. Sad song. Sad story.


2. Baba O’Riley – The Who
This one gets me fired up and ready to receive. I love the intro



3. Butterflies and Hurricanes - Muse
The piano interlude in the middle is so unexpected. I can get furious with it.

4. 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong – Mogwai
Pretty, pretty song. Perfect timing, perfect tune, perfect tone.


5. Hoppipolla – Sigur Ros
Oh pretty of prettiest. This is my silver lining. The mood is sweet and sad and the melody is lovely. They sing in Icelandic so I couldn’t sing along even if I wanted to.


6. Until The Sun Turns Black – Ray Lamontagne
Sacrifice, sleepy, sullen Seattle mornings. Little, lonely, lost wanderer, have you found something? Show me.


7. Picaresque - The Decemberists
I chose the whole album here because I can’t remember one specific song. I only know I put on the album one night, sat in my room, started writing and only paused to start the cd over and over and over and over again.


8. The Shining – Badly Drawn Boy
Love, love, love. Lost love, found love, ageless love, new love, old love, childhood love, adult love. Guess what this one makes me write about?



9. The Stops - Elbow
Twinkle, twinkle. Yes, please remind me. Sometimes I forget.


10. The Trapeze Swinger – Iron & Wine
Perfect for it’s length, which allows me to get in a mood and stay in it. It gathers fullness as it goes and carries me with it.

Bonus Tracks:
11. Ambition – Doves
I couldn’t leave this one out. It’s ambient and sad and sleepy. Helping me out a lot right now.



12. Paint The Silence - South
This one has too much mometum for me to leave out.

I am always listening for the story behind the lyrics. “Don’t Fear The Reaper”, by Blue Oyster Cult has always intrigued me for some strange reason. It seems I love to write about death.
And that I love Britpop. Who knew?



0 comments: