Tuesday, June 26, 2007

R.I.P. Chris Benoit


Last night, I turned on WWE Raw with a sort of reluctance. I was expecting more incessant and meaningless ramblings about Mr. McMahon's "death", a rather weak storyline, if you ask me. Instead, I see Mr. McMahon in an empty arena, in the middle of the ring with a microphone. He tells us in a grave voice, Chris Benoit is dead. Not only is Benoit dead, his wife and his seven year old son are as well. I am shocked. I call Jason. He tells me to call Ray, our wrestling and general sports expert. I do. He confirms. I call Jason back to confirm. No way. We cannot believe it. The program was lengthened to three hours and dedicated to Chris Benoit. Nobody wrestles. It is a three hour sadfest. I tear up once when an announcer I despise, Jerry the King Lawler tells us to take a minute right now and tell the people in our lives that we love them. I tell my kitties. They keep giving us the bare minimum about the facts. Telling us Chris, his wife, ("Woman" for all you old school wrestling fans) and his son Daniel, were found in his suburban Atlanta home dead. They never say why or how. Jason says he wouldn't be surprised if Benoit murdered them and then killed himself. Ray says it was probably his wife. I call them silly but then today....


" Report: Benoit strangled wife, smothered son, then hung self
Associated Press
Updated: June 26, 2007, 3:09 PM ET

ATLANTA -- Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weight room, a law enforcement official close to the investigation told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Authorities also said they are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old son. Steroid abuse has been linked to depression, paranoia, and aggressive behavior or angry outbursts known as "roid rage."



We know that Benoit who was scheduled to appear on last Sunday's PPV, canceled last minute, citing "personal reasons" causing the flaming Johnny Nitro to win the ECW championship belt. But what kind of personal reasons? Jason thinks maybe his wife was trying to leave him. I do not know and I probably never will.
I'm not here to judge. No one is. I don't even want to think about his horrifyng recent actions. It's a tragic event and very sad. I just want to remember and honor his talent and his career. After all, we lost one of the better wrestlers. Now who will break Booboo's (my affectionate nickname for Sabu) neck? Who will take swan dives from the top of ladders? Who will simultaneously intimidate us and demand respect from us? The loss to wrestling is great. As more and more of the old school guys go, we are left with the testosterone pumped soap opera that wrestling has become. Rest in peace, Chris Benoit. You will be missed greatly.


Chris Benoit

1967 - 2007

0 comments: